Children & Chiropractic
Brand new babies are a blessing to every parent. We do everything in our power to make sure our baby gets the best head-start to life as possible. One of the many things that we can do for our kids is make sure everything is in proper working order when it comes to their spines. If someone told you that by taking your baby to the chiropractor today, you would be sparing them years of allergies, ear-infections, and colic, wouldn’t you take the opportunity to help them? Chiropractic care has been proven to be a safe alternative to many drugs given for these ailments. Right now your baby’s nervous system is setting up the pathways it is going to use for the rest of your child’s life. It also happens to be the easiest time in your child’s life to fix whatever may be wrong with their spine or whatever may be interfering with their nervous system.
Especially important times to get infants adjusted:
- After the birth process. (especially long labors and vacuum or forceps delivery)
- When the baby starts to hold his/her head up.
- When the baby sits up.
- When the baby starts to crawl.
- When the baby starts to stand.
- When the baby starts to walk.
Warning signs that an infant’s spine is misaligned:
- An infant who refuses to nurse on one side, or who resists looking to one side.
- An infant whose head doesn’t “un-mold” itself within a few weeks of birth.
- An infant with colic.
- An infant with reoccurring ear-infections or colds that never seem to fully go away.
Important fact: the spinal column comprises 40% of the total length of the infant - The spinal column grows 50% in length during the baby's first year of life.
Toddlers and children:
Toddlers and children are always on the move. Learning to ride a bike, playing with other children in the neighborhood, and participating in team sports, are only a few examples of the many activities kids have. Every mommy and daddy knows that sometimes all a bump on the knee needs is a small kiss and a glass of juice. What a lot of moms and dads don’t know is the impact the fall caused on the spine. Many spinal problems adults have can be traced back to childhood traumas. Many children benefit from chiropractic care with problems from unbalanced walking to gastrointestinal problems.
Especially important times to get toddlers and children adjusted:
- When a child starts to run.
- When a child takes a hard fall.
- Any time a child is involved in a car accident.
- During growth spurts.
- Any time a child breaks a bone.
- When a child begins school. (to make sure backpacks are not causing more strain than necessary)
Warning signs that a child’s spine is misaligned:
- A toddler who stops walking and reverts to crawling.
- A child with one shoulder or hip higher than the other.
- A child with colds or ear-infections that never seem to go away.
- A child who seems to be uncomfortable or in pain with no traceable reason.
Other childhood illnesses chiropractic helps:
- Digestive problems
Important Note: Chiropractors specializing in children use very specific, gentle techniques to care for children. On the very young, the adjustment is as light as a finger touch.
Dr. Will has been a Sterling chiropractor since 2002 and has helped thousands of kids and children with their health issues including ear infections, reflux, constipation, colic, lower back pains, neck issues, and helping kids after falls and traumas.